“I missed my court date.”

“I missed my court date, and now I have an order for arrest.  What can I do?”

It depends on the type of charge and the courtroom where the charge was scheduled to be heard.  For many minor traffic offenses, the DMV will be notified, which means that you will have to reschedule your case and resolve it within a certain time limit to avoid the suspension of your license as well as the fines, costs, and/or late fees.

If you miss a court date for a criminal charge or a serious traffic offense such as Driving While Impaired or Driving While License Revoked, it is not uncommon that an order for your arrest will be issued.  If an order for arrest is issued, this situation may be addressed in a couple of ways.

One option would be to report to the magistrate and have the warrant served.  As a result, however, you will likely have to post bond.  In the event that you are unable to post bond, you would have to remain in jail until the scheduled court date or until the bond is reduced.  Another option, however, is to call an experienced North Carolina criminal defense attorney.  In many instances, your attorney may be able to have the order for your arrest stricken and a new court date scheduled.

If you have an order for your arrest for a North Carolina crime, you need an experienced North Carolina criminal law attorney. Depending on your prior record and the facts and circumstances of your case, you have a lot of options with respect to how your case is resolved.  Please call us today for a free consultation at (336) 725-6559 in our office which is located in downtown Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  In addition to Forsyth County, we also handle cases in the counties of Davidson, Davie, Guilford, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin.